Tuesday 9 September 2014

A Cartoon





This document is a cartoon from the International Herald Tribune. It tackles the issue of pirating movies, which is very common nowadays and affects the film market.

In the top left-hand corner we can see the entrance of a building, on which is written "CANNES" under the logo of the "Festival de Cannes", in which people are gathering, and being photographed while entering. In the background, we can notice a big crowd with cameras and papers, which I can suppose are to ask for autographs from the stars entering the building walking on the red carpet. In the foreground we can see a fan asking for an autograph. It includes a balloon in which is written "I love your movies. I've pirated them all!", said by the fan.

We can say that the author, Chappatte, aims to criticize piracy. To make people sensitive of the fact that piracy, aside from being illegal, harms the movie-making industry and instead of helping it to improve it makes them lose money, so to speak means to make more movies.
The author aims to denounce this fact.

In my opinion, this document is carefully thought out because at first glance, we can get a pretty clear idea of the overall message of the cartoon. We can immediately recognise the context and understand its meaning easily. I find it convincing but I don't know if it's really effective, because the issue treated here affects the majority of the modern world. Also, piracy is an easy way of having quickly the movies you want to have without paying, so I'm not sure it is effective because I don't know if people would be struk so much as to stop pirating.

Personally speaking, I think it is really a big issue, that would be nice to be solved soon, but which is far from it. I agree with the author that piracy is bad an also if you want your stars to continue making movies then you should buy they but also other movies that I don't like so much I would maybe pirate them. I mostly think that this piracy problem is something which will not easely be solved.
This makes me think that this issue has not only to do with movies but also with series and music, which is basically the same problem and not only brings a problem to the movie making industry but also to the TV. It even leads the productors of TV channels to wonder what will be the future of the TV, will it continue existing or not?

4 comments:

  1. Self-correction not done.
    That's really disappointing and quite damaging, Cecilia.
    ---> - 2 points

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I thought I had until next class. I'm really sorry.

      Delete
  2. Cecilia, I remember telling you very clearly in class that last Friday night was the deadline for self-correction.

    ReplyDelete